GPL & commercial software, the critical distinction (fwd)

Matthew James Gering mgering at ecosystems.net
Wed Sep 30 10:52:35 PDT 1998

Jim Choate wrote:
> No Netscape on NT or 95/98 is no where near as stable as
> on a Linux or Solaris box (the two that I use most).

Correct me if I am wrong or if this has changed since they went
open-source, but AFAIK Mozilla's Windows and Unix codebases were
entirely independent and separately developed, so I'm not sure what
conclusions you can draw from that.

> Yep, that explains why my NT's have to be rebooted almost daily
> because of various issues and my various unix boxes go for weeks

Again, let's leave the OS wars off this list. I've had NT machines up
for several months and down only for patches and upgrades.

But Netscape pissed me off so severely during the version 2.x plethora
of releases with their alpha-quality javascript that I've not used it
since, so I cannot comment on its current [in]stability.

	Matt