U.K. Hosts Bomb-Proof Computer Room

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Sep 29 22:25:02 PDT 1998

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:55:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Knowles <erehwon at kizmiaz.dis.org>
To: DC-Stuff <dc-stuff at dis.org>, Access All Areas <aaa-list at access.org.uk>
cc: Digital Commerce Society of Boston <dcsb at ai.mit.edu>
Subject: U.K. Hosts Bomb-Proof Computer Room
Sender: bounce-dcsb at ai.mit.edu

(Network Week) [9.30.98] Anyone worried about the security of
e-commerce might find a nuclear bomb-proof server room lightly
excessive, but that is exactly what British company AL Digital,
the company behind the Apache-SSL secure Web server, is offering.

AL Digital, based in London, is offering host servers at
The Bunker, an ex-military base that was formerly a key British
Ministry of Defense communications center. The company said the
facility had secure chambers buried deep underground and
communications capacity available on tap.

"We feel physical security is often overlooked," said AL
Digital director Adam Laurie. "Hacking and cracking are not
the major risks anymore because of strong encryption; where
you're vulnerable is at the physical point at which you
decrypt the data."

Laurie said the servers based at The Bunker would be protected
against electronic eavesdropping, physical intrusion, and
electromagnetic damage, as well as a nuclear strike.

"We could have built our own secure facility, but we heard
this was on the market," he added. He said it's as physically
robust as Telehouse, a high-security server-hosting facility in
Staten Island, N.Y., if not more so.

==
I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in
cases of oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way
obstructed interstate commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover
==
http://www.dis.org/erehwon/

"dcsb-request at ai.mit.edu" with one line of text: "help".

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah at philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA