Twofish News: New Twofish Analaysis and the Cryptanalysis of Magenta

Bruce Schneier schneier at counterpane.com
Mon Sep 28 00:22:50 PDT 1998

There are two new papers on the Twofish website:

	- The second Twofish Technical Report, where we give the results of our
	empirical verification of some Twofish key uniqueness properties.  This
	result gives us further confidence that there are no related or weak keys.

	- An initial cryptanalysis of Magenta, one of the other AES submissions.
	This short paper was written at the first AES workshop, hours after the
	Magenta algorithm was first released.  Certainly there are improvements
	to this attack, and beginning cryptography students would do well to
	work on this algorithm.

Both of these papers are on the Twofish website:

	http://www.counterpane.com/twofish.html

Also, the Twofish Pentium assembly code had a small bug in it; revised code
is available on the website.

We are interested in other implementations of Twofish.  If anyone has
ported the algorithm to Visual Basic, Perl, Motorola assembly, or any other
smart card processor, and is willing to make their code public, we'd be
happy to hear from them.

For other AES news, visit the NIST website at:

	http://www.nist.gov/aes

And for a free subscription to my free email monthly newsletter, CRYPTO-GRAM,
visit the subscription page at:

	http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Schneier, President, Counterpane Systems     Phone: 612-823-1098
101 E Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis, MN  55419      Fax: 612-823-1590
           Free crypto newsletter.  See:  http://www.counterpane.com