Cypherpunks defeat?

Robert A. Costner pooh at efga.org
Sun Sep 27 08:20:13 PDT 1998

At 08:43 PM 9/27/98 -0700, James A. Donald wrote:

>IBM is proposing that anyone, or many people, will be free to
>act as issuers of promises to pay in their proposed microcash
>system.

I don't think you gave a URL for the IBM system.  Since you got me
interested, I went and looked at the "MilliCent" branded product from
Digital/Compaq.

	http://www.millicent.digital.com/

Millicent is currently free in that scrip is not cash.  I have to laugh in
that MilliCent has a granularity of 1/10 of a penny.  So why call it
millicent?

It looks like millicent could be used to pay for web based sending of
anonymous messages, but only if you have an NT server (or use theirs) and
only if you browse from windows.

Maybe if I find a millicent type system that works with a Linux server,
especially a "non money" one, I might setup a web based mailer that works
with it.  It would make a nice weekend project.  I'm been thinking of
revamping the dragoncon.net mailer anyway.

  -- Robert Costner                  Phone: (770) 512-8746
     Electronic Frontiers Georgia    mailto:pooh at efga.org
     http://www.efga.org/            run PGP 5.0 for my public key