arms collectors...

Jim Burnes jvb at ssds.com
Fri Sep 25 06:00:50 PDT 1998

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, David Emery wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from "Thomas B. Roach" <sigint at thegrid.net> -----
>

> Washington Times, 25 Sep 98
> Operable missile seized in customs
> By Bill Gertz THE WASHINGTON TIMES
>
> U.S.  and British authorities are investigating how a Russian-design
> Scud missile was imported illegally by a weapons collector in
> California, The Washington Times has learned.
>
> "This is a full-blown missile," said John Hensley, a senior agent of the
> U.S.  Customs Service in Los Angeles.  "The only thing missing is the
> warhead."
>
> A Scud B missile and its mobile transporter-erector launcher --minus the
> warhead -- were seized Sept.  2 by customs agents in Port Hueneme,
> Calif., about 35 miles north of Los Angeles, said officials familiar
> with the case.

Scuze me for picking nits, but if the missile doesn't have a
warhead then its just a rocket (plus some guidance systems).

When does a rocket become a "weapon of mass destruction"?

Maybe what American officials should be investigating is how US defense
contractors got an export license to sell ICBM components to the ChiCom's.
I heard it was OK'd by the pres himself -- theorectically for big
campaign donations.

If those missiles are targeted at US, then that would constitute
blatant treason, would it not?

Inquiring minds want to know.

jim