EU-US Relations and Spy Satellit

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Thu Sep 24 18:21:10 PDT 1998

http://www.europarl.eu.int/dg3/sdp/pointses/en/p980914s.htm#6

EU-US relations and spy satellite

Monday 14 September

MEPs adopted the resolution emphasising the importance of EU-US
relations and welcoming the New Transatlantic Agenda agreed at
the 18 May London Summit. MEPs see the agreement as a means of
reducing potential sources of conflict between both sides but
want Congress to scrap the extra-territorial Helms-Burton and
d'Amato Acts. The resolution recognises the importance of
cooperation in the field of electronic surveillance for tracking
down international criminal terrorists and drug traffickers but
takes the view that "protective measures concerning economic
information and effective encryption" should be taken to guard
against abuse and threat to civil liberties posed by international
telecommunications such as the "Echelon" US system.

-----

We were unable to find the full resolution online and would
appreciate a pointer, or a hardcopy:

US Fax: 212-873-8700

Snail:

John Young
251 West 89th Street, Suite 6E
New York, NY 10024

No response from DoD on our request to interview Secretary
Cohen about Echelon. And despite the spate of news reports
on the recent Euro Parliament debate about it, there have been
no questions about Echelon in DoD press briefings.

Perhaps one of our esteemed journalists with Pentagon links
could follow up on the Baltimore Sun coverage.

Duncan Campbell, the first to write of Echelon in 1988, is
offering information on Menwith Hill (NSA Echelon base)
obtained by British protestors:

   http://jya.com/en092198.htm