CHALLENGE response (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Sep 21 19:11:39 PDT 1998

> Subject: CHALLENGE response (fwd)

> The whole point of the CHALLENGE response went straight over his head,
> didn't it?

It didn't go over my head at all. What amazes me is that it took you this
long to figure out that one could munge signatures.

> We have here the first known case where a key was constructed ex post
> facto to validate a signed message, in response to Adam Back's challenge.

Um, I don't believe that is true. It may be the first time members of this
list have managed it.

> No longer can you assume that just because you posted a signed message
> on a certain date, and you hold the public key which signed that message,
> that you can later prove authorship.  It challenges some of the implicit
> assumptions which have been made in using public key cryptography.

No, it challenges basic assumptions regarding the importance of identity.
In no way does it effect the basic math of crypto, public or otherwise.

And people wonder why I don't sign my messages...

> And all Jim Choate can do is take issue with a snippet of Toto's ravings
> which were included purely to illustrate the signature validity.  He is
> completely unaware of what is really happening.

I've taken no issue with Toto or his ravings.

Have a nice day.

                            The seeker is a finder.

                                     Ancient Persian Proverb

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com