Stego-empty hard drives... (fwd)

Mark Hahn mhahn at tcbtech.com
Mon Sep 21 17:03:31 PDT 1998

At 11:37 PM 9/21/98 -0400, Lazlo Toth wrote:
>>> When you're taking your laptop through customs, you do
>>> nothing while the machine boots up, the doctored BIOS does its thing,
>>> and everybody's happy.  When you want to get at the stuff on the rest of
>>> the HD, you reboot and type in your passphrase.

As I recall, this thread is about customs officials booting your laptop
from *their* floppy and scanning your hard drive.  I suggest two
practical solutions to avoid this incursion:

1) Leave the floppy drive at home ;-) Many PCs have swapable floppy/
CD-ROM bays. I've learned to live without my floppy (others may not have
that option.)

2) If you can't leave your floppy at home, carry your sensitive data on
a PCMCIA Type-II Hard Drive. Kingston sells one sporting 500MB
of capacity. Pop it out and put it as far away from the laptop as you
can. Inside your other luggage somewhere.

-MpH
--------
Mark P. Hahn                    Work: 212-278-5861
mhahn at tcbtech.com               Home: 609-275-1834
TCB Technologies, Inc (mhahn at tcbtech.com)

Consultant to:
The SoGen Funds	1221 Avenue of the Americas, NY NY