Stego-empty hard drives... (fwd)

Anonymous nobody at remailer.ch
Mon Sep 21 06:08:56 PDT 1998

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Jim Choate wrote:

> [...]

By default. The machine boots. It is either told to accept a passphrase or
is told nothing. If the latter, it boots normally, only with its HD-hiding
code. If the former, it prompts, accepts a passphrase, and then boots
normally, only with the HD-hiding code disabled.

What I think you're asking is how the actual cryptography would be done. I
wouldn't want to stick crypto code in the BIOS, or at least not the code
which will be used all the time.

I think a better way to do this is to have the BIOS boot up in HD-hiding
mode all the time, and require user-mode software to disable HD-hiding
mode and then deal with the cryptography.

> > When you're taking your laptop through customs, you do
> > nothing while the machine boots up, the doctored BIOS does its thing,
> > and everybody's happy.  When you want to get at the stuff on the rest of
> > the HD, you reboot and type in your passphrase.
>
> How do you propose to prompt the user for the correct time to type?

You don't, at least not at first. If you hold down maybe the left and
right shift keys, in combination with the left alt key while pressing the
"R" key, it prompts "BIOS: ". You type your passphrase in. LILO (the LInux
LOader) does this if you depress a shift key during boot. Obviously with
LILO it's to specify kernel parameters, what OS to boot into, and things
like that.