Stego-empty hard drives... (fwd)

Michael Hohensee mah248 at is9.nyu.edu
Mon Sep 21 04:40:39 PDT 1998

Jim Choate wrote:

> [...]

I believe that the idea was to set it up so that BIOS defaults to
HD-hiding mode.  When you're taking your laptop through customs, you do
nothing while the machine boots up, the doctored BIOS does its thing,
and everybody's happy.  When you want to get at the stuff on the rest of
the HD, you reboot and type in your passphrase.

Presumably, one wouldn't do this in front of a customs official. :)