IP: School bans `no rules' T-shirt

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Fri Sep 18 23:27:29 PDT 1998

From: believer at telepath.com
Subject: IP: School bans `no rules' T-shirt
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:25:30 -0500
To: believer at telepath.com

Source:  St. Paul, Minnesota Pioneer Planet News
http://www.pioneerplanet.com/news/wis_docs/010832.htm

Published: Thursday, September 17, 1998

School bans `no rules' T-shirt

ASSOCIATED PRESS

 WAUKESHA, WIS.

A fifth grader was ordered to turn his T-shirt inside-out because it
carried the message ``No Rules,'' which the principal said promoted
disruptive behavior.

But the youth's mother said Saratoga Elementary School principal Dale
Heinen overstepped his bounds and that there was no harm in wearing such
shirts, which depict cartoon characters and carry the slogan, ``Outta my
way. No Rules.''

Heinen made Cody Wilhelm wear the shirt inside-out so no one could read its
message.

``School guidelines talk about things that are disruptive and can lead to
disruption,'' Heinen said. ``If they are portraying that in what they wear
. . . we don't want kids reflecting that attitude or promoting that type of
attitude.''

Mary Wilhelm said her son's T-shirt was not disruptive and that parents
should have the right to dress their children with any clothes they want to
as long as they do not promote sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco or illegal
activities.

She said her son went to school last year wearing one of the ``No Rules''
T-shirts and also wore a T-shirt depicting ``Joe Camel,'' a cartoon
character formerly used to promote Camel cigarettes. School officials did
not object, she said.

``He should have never worn that Joe Camel shirt, I agree, but that dealt
with smoking,'' Wilhelm said.

``This is different. I don't want to have the principal tell me what I can
and can't do with my kid.''

©1998 PioneerPlanet / St. Paul (Minnesota) Pioneer Press - All Rights
Reserved
copyright information
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and
educational purposes only. For more information go to:
with the message:
     (un)subscribe ignition-point email at address
www.telepath.com/believer