your mail

mgraffam at mhv.net mgraffam at mhv.net
Thu Sep 17 01:50:44 PDT 1998

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, jkthomson wrote:

> makes you wonder what hell they were using for encryption?  DES?

> MIAMI (AP) -- The shadowy world of a low-budget Cuban spy ring came to
> light in a courtroom, where an FBI agent testified that a suspect's
> apartment yielded computer diskettes containing coded references to Fidel
> Castro and plans to sabotage an aircraft hangar.

Note the word coded.

> Thousands of pages of encrypted computer documents were seized from the
> men's apartments.

> He said diskettes seized from Viramontez' apartment were sprinkled with the
> word "comrade" and coded references to "commandante," taken by
> investigators to refer to Castro.

I don't think that the documents were encrypted; I think that, perhaps,
they were just done in a code language.

If they were actually using a cipher system, you do have to wonder what it
was.

Damn.. are cypherpunks the only people in the universe smart enough to use
PGP?!?

Michael J. Graffam (mgraffam at mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam -- Philosophy, Religion, Computers, Crypto, etc
 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin, ~1784