Fwd: WHITE HOUSE MULLS NEW INTERNET TAX PROPOSAL from edupage

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Mon Sep 14 18:36:02 PDT 1998

At 12:14 AM 9/15/98 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:

>Ira Magaziner, President Clinton's senior Internet advisor, has proposed a
>new plan for tracking and taxing goods sold over the Internet that would use
>electronic "resident cards" and private-sector escrow agents around the
>world. Consumers would obtain digital cash at banks that would allow
>merchants to identify which country the buyer is in,

And I thought "Monica was having sex with Clinton but Clinton wasn't having
sex with Monica" was the best the joke  meisters at the White House could
come up with.

Does Ira say how the OECD countries were going to mandate a monopoly
payment system?  Seems to me the number of payment systems is rising
towards infinity rather than falling towards unity.

The Ottawa conference is going to be a laugh riot.

DCF