radio net

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sat Sep 12 22:19:05 PDT 1998

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:11:29 -0700
To: Robert Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com>
From: Somebody
Subject: Re: radio net

>I know what Single Sideband means. As I've said before, and what you failed
>to read later on in this thread, evidently, is that there are commercial
>Single Sideband radios out there which have the range of ham sets. These
>radios are used for commercial ship-to-shore traffic, and I expect that
>encryption is legal on them. I expect that, because these frequencies are
>subject to international convention rather than federal law, they have more
>leeway (heh... nautical pun) on their use. Including, I bet, digital
>packets and encryption.

If I remember correctly, this is escrowed encryption using code
books deposited with the appropriate authorities.

<Somebody's .sig>

--- end forwarded text

*That* sucks... I wonder who the "appropriate authorities" are?

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga
Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah at philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA