radio net

Brian B. Riley brianbr at together.net
Sat Sep 12 04:26:34 PDT 1998

On 9/10/98 10:28 PM, Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)  passed this
wisdom:

>Hey, guys,
>
>Someone here already said it, but nobody else got it, so I'll repeat it:
>SSB, or Single Sideband. It's commercial ham radio, if you will, and all
>the ships use it. I expect that you can shove anything down an SSB set that
>you want, including encrypted traffic.
>
>Ham radio is a government nerd subsidy, and as such, doesn't do much but
>make more government funded/sactioned/approved/whatever nerds. :-).
>
>SSB would do just fine. It's an international standard, after all, and
>probably not under the control of any one government, even.e

 Bob, I am afraid you are showing your ignorance here. SSB is just one of
the many modes of emission standardized in radio communications, its used
by the amateur radio service (ham) , the citizens radio service (cb), the
military, etc ...

 The real problem is that to build any sort of network would require some
fixed positions, which, if it were intended to be 'clandestine' would be
compromised sooner or later ... either that or several poor shnooks would
have full time jobs driving vans around and around to keep the RDF snoops
guessing ...

 In general there would be a better chance of pulling it off if you
stayed away from the ham radio bands. 'self-policing' is not a character
of another bands except the commercial broadcast bands.

 Spread spectrum would have more promise as many stations could be on the
air at once on the same frequency thus making life quite confusing for
the T-hunters.

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
  For PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr at together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

   "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too
    much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it."
      -- Thomas Jefferson