radio net

Brian B. Riley brianbr at together.net
Sat Sep 12 01:45:54 PDT 1998

On 9/8/98 2:29 PM, Ryan Lackey (ryan at systemics.ai)  passed this wisdom:

>Is anyone else interested in setting up a radio net (probably packet radio
>relay) to relay small quantities of data in the event the telecommunications
>infrastructure becomes unavailable (either technically or
>legally/politically/militarily)?  There are existing packet relay nets, but
>in my experience amateur radio people, especially in the US, are very
>willing to roll over for the government at the slightest cause.

 you tar with too wide a brush ... one of the pioneers of ham packet
radio is Phil Karn, who definitely isn't in to submissive roll overs! For
that matter neither am I, though, sadly the greater number of hams do fit
your description.

>I think the cost would be something like $1-5k per station, and it could
>be done in a fairly turnkey fashion.  Exactly how to handle routing and
>what protocol to use on the network is kind of an open question -- there
>are a lot of solutions, none of them optimal.

 so what are you interested in setting up????

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
 For PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr at together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "One of the deep mysteries to me is our logo, the symbol of lust
   and knowledge, bitten into, all crossed with in the colors of the
   rainbow in the wrong order. You couldn't dream of a more
   appropriate logo: lust, knowledge, hope, and anarchy."
   -- Gassee - Apple Logo