A Cypherpunk Trial, Yes

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Sep 10 20:11:28 PDT 1998

At 7:52 AM -0700 9/11/98, Trei, Peter wrote:

>	I, too, was suprised to find myself mentioned in
>	one of the postings John Young has highlighted.  I
>	hadn't noticed this before, since Toto's rants
>	were among the 50%+ of cpunks postings I marked as
>	read without actually reading them.

As I've said, I started deleting the posts from Toto, TruthMonger, Human
Gus-Peter, Linda Reed, and other totonyms about a year ago. I did this, "in
toto," one might say. As soon as I saw a long rant with a bunch of odd
stuff, mixtures of caps, references to Country Porn, Space Aliens,
Bienfait, etc., I hit the delete button.

But before this, I saw of course that we were playing starring roles in his
fantastical rants.

And Toto often forged our names on his rants and threats. I count this as a
kind of blessing, in that any attempt to prosecute us based on our posts
will run smack into this forgery issue...at least a speed bump in the
process of proving in court that some text fragment was actually written by
someone they claim it was written by.

>	The Poster Currently Known As Toto mentioned an
>	awful lot of people by name, purportedly engaged
>	in all kinds of nefarious activities.  The same
>	post also names Tim May, Adam Back, Declan
>	McCullagh, Ulf Moller, Kent Crispen, and Blanc
>	Weber. I'm let off easy, being characterized
>	as only a 'terroist [sic] InterNet forger'.
>	I think that this is because I once complained
>	when someone (possibly Toto) forged a message
>	in my name. To put it in the plainest possible
>	terms: I have never in my life forged a message.

Yep. I expect several of us may get subpoenas in this case. Either to
refute what is claimed, to support what is claimed, or just to clarify who
wrote what.

I plan to rely only on my memory. If they want me to try to reconstruct my
own e-mail archives, currently resident on several different disk drives,
some on CD-ROM, some in my gun safe, some in my safe deposit box, well,
this would require much work on my part. I presume they'll pay my
consulting fees for doing this work. Otherwise, it'll be just my memory.

"No, I have no direct recollection of the post you mention...."

--Tim May

(This space left blank pending determ. of acceptability to the gov't.)