Renewable Energy Stuff (was citizenship silliness) (fwd)

Jim Burnes jvb at ssds.com
Wed Sep 9 23:43:11 PDT 1998

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Jim Choate wrote:

(risking /dev/nullification "is that like jury nullification?")

I think you misunderstood.  They are claiming "gasoline equivalent
gallons/acre" -- not that 1 gallon of hemp oil = 3 gallons of gasoline.
And were not talking about "burning" hemp in that sense.  In this
particular case were talking about hemp-based biodiesel.

> I also notice it doesn't mention what it costs to raise that 4 tons/acre...

Raising a full acre of hemp in that matter is something I don't have the
data on.  However, hemp is widely known as a low-maintenance crop -- that
translates little to no fertilizer.  After that we have the price of the
land/month, servicing loans on the farm equipment, labor costs, taxes,
energy, water etc.  Typical business overhead.   And for that 1000 galgas
eq/acre.

Certainly nothing out of the ordinary compared to the overhead in
the oil industry.  Although on a cost/gallon overhead I don't know.
Obviously this would take a least one growth season.

ObCrypto: In the case of TEOTWAWKI from Y2K, we are going to need
energy to run our computers and crypto on.  This might also be
important to the people wanting to run a packet radio relay net.
(even though the then non-existant FCC might not like them
using crypto on a packet link)

I copied Tom Reed and Agua Das on this since they can address
the tech matters more thoroughly than I can.

Other than that we should probably take this off list.

Jim