Carl Johnson Warrant and Complaint

Adam Back aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Wed Sep 9 00:38:43 PDT 1998

Tim May writes:
> As I'd been deleting nearly all of Toto's stuff unread, I missed all the
> stuff about (allegedly) threatening to bomb the RCMP. I recall seeing his
> "AP Bot" and "Dead Lucky" items, which came out before I was deleting all
> of his stuff.

It is kind of amusing that this FBI agent has been methodically
analysing Toto's posts when few if any here have read them all.
Particularly the one which apparently was sent to the list encrypted
with the password included -- I wonder if this FBI agent was pretty
near the only person who read it!  (I don't recall seeing the
message.)

It would seem that Toto's tendency for magical thinking, and his
theories on `synchronicity' are contagious, and that the FBI agent
ended up being drawn into Toto's magical thinking, conspiracy theory
filled world and imagining all kinds of hidden meanings in Toto's
posts.

Most of Toto's messages were fictional works such as `WebWorld', and
the others, cynical rants, conspiracy theories, etc.  No one here had
the faintest idea that any of this stuff was connected with reality.

One wonders about the Xenix chainsaw massacre, and the suitcase
nuke... fact or fiction :-)

Adam