clinton digital signing

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Mon Sep 7 14:34:09 PDT 1998

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 01:04:12 +1200
To: snetnews at world.std.com
From: "ScanThisNews" <mcdonalds at airnet.net> (by way of
 jeremy.compton at stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Jeremy Compton))
Subject: SNET: [FP] FW: Clinton "Useless" w/o Pen: Uses SmartCard Encrption

- ->  SNETNEWS  Mailing List

[Forwarded message]

Clinton "Useless" w/o Pen: Uses SmartCard Encrption

Source:  Fox News - AP
http://www.foxnews.com/js_index.sml?content=/news/wires2/

WHITE HOUSE NOTEBOOK: Clinton feels 'utterly useless' without his pen
 6.33 p.m. ET (2233 GMT) September 4, 1998

 By Shawn Pogatchnik, Associated Press

 DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) — What's the point of being president if you can't
use your pen?

 Seated at matching laptops, President Clinton and Irish Prime Minister
Bertie Ahern used "smart cards,'' personalized codes and digital readers
Friday to electronically affix their signatures to an electronic commerce
agreement.

 Clinton joked that he missed the old-fashioned way of approving deals.

 "Do you have any idea how much time I spend every day signing my name? I'm
going to feel utterly useless if I can't do that anymore,'' he said.

 He also offered this insight on being president: "You know, by the time
you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions.
You just sign your name.

 "You may find you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime
ministers, virtual everything. You know, just stick a little card in and
get the predictable response.''

<snip part about Clinton's golf game>

                  © 1998 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and
educational purposes only. For more information go to: