"Einstein's degree wasn't honorary...."

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Sep 6 13:57:46 PDT 1998

...says Jim Choate from the bowels of my kill file.

I believe I was talking about his doctorate, which, I think you'll see, was
in fact given to him on the strength of his already published work, by a
school in which he wasn't enrolled.

I would call that, no matter the rigor attached to the degree and the
quality of the school handing it out -- both of which were considerable, if
I remember -- an "honorary" doctorate.

As honorary degrees go, the Swiss school which did confer a doctorate upon
Einstein, and upon Diffie as well, I think, was supposed to be about the
best one you can get.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga
Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah at philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA