Is it true that PGP 5.X is not secure?

Mok-Kong Shen mok-kong.shen at stud.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Sep 1 05:45:13 PDT 1998

Lars Weitze wrote:

> There are still rumors about that...

My humble knowledge does not permit my answering your question.
However, I suppose your question is problematical. It is difficult
to define security, or more precisely a scientifcally rigorous
measure of security. I don't think that it is sensible to talk about
absolute security without reference to a context (environment). In
my view there is no 'perfect' encryption system in the practical
world. If by 'not secure' you meant something that malicious persons
have secretely manipulated to cause you damage, then I also don't
know but I guess that to be highly unlikely, given the good historical
record of PGP.

M. K. Shen