IP: One Million Sign Petition to Kill IRS Code

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Fri Oct 30 01:36:51 PST 1998

From: believer at telepath.com
Subject: IP: One Million Sign Petition to Kill IRS Code
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 19:47:24 -0600
To: believer at telepath.com

Source:  US Newswire
http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/1028-112.txt

NFIB: One Million Sign Petition to Kill IRS Code
U.S. Newswire
28 Oct 12:00

 NFIB: Petition to Kill IRS Code Hits Million Signature Mark
 To: National Desk
 Contact: Jim Weidman of the National Federation of Independent
          Business, 202-554-9000

   SAN DIEGO, Calif., Oct. 28 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The National
Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) today reached a milestone
in its drive to abolish the federal tax code and replace it
with a simpler and fairer system.

   At a downtown rally here today, NFIB President Jack Faris
announced that the national petition drive calling on Congress to
sunset the current IRS code had collected its one-millionth
signature.  Onlookers cheered as Faris placed the landmark signature
atop an 18-wheeler stacked with scores of boxes bearing signed
petitions collected during the group's year-long campaign.  Labeling
the petition drive "the most ambitious tax reform initiative since
the Boston Tea Party," Faris expressed thanks to the more than 30,000
small-business owners who served as "volunteer captains, collecting
signatures on Main Streets throughout the country in this
unprecedented grassroots effort to restore reason to our tax system."

   The nation's leading small-business advocacy group, NFIB
has 600,000 members nationwide.  "We now have 1 million reasons
for Congress and the president to do what's right for small
business, and what's right for America," Faris said to a crowd
of hundreds who gathered in front of an IRS office building
for the tax reform event.  "These first 1 million petitions
will serve as the symbol as well as the fuel that keeps this
effort to abolish the code going strong.  We won't give up!"
Faris also added that "NFIB will continue to gather petitions
and grassroots support, because Washington sees the light when
they feel the heat from Main Street."

   Faris outlined his group's plan for action in the 106th Congress:
"NFIB will continue to stand up for small business on this issue and
others.  We will be a catalyst, urging Congress to sunset the IRS
code as the first step toward responsible tax reform, so that the new
century may begin under transition to a new tax system." Noting that
the nation's economy is strong, and economic optimism is high, Faris
said, "This is the right time for Congress and the president to
answer the call from grassroots America and replace our broken tax
code.  To ignore that call -- at a time when we are able to answer
it -- would be irresponsible.  One million signatures can't
be ignored."

   The San Diego rally was the latest event in NFIB's ongoing
"Campaign for Responsible Tax Reform," which was kicked off
one year ago in Independence, Mo.  Today's event was simulcast
live on the Roger Hedgecock Show on KSDO-AM (1130) and KOGO-AM
(600).

   -----
   For a copy of NFIB's Seven Steps to Responsible Tax Reform,
or any other materials related to the campaign, visit
NFIB's special Web site at www.not4IRS.org.

 -0-
 /U.S. Newswire  202-347-2770/
 10/28 12:00

Copyright 1998, U.S. Newswire
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and
educational purposes only. For more information go to:
with the message:
     (un)subscribe ignition-point email at address

or (un)subscribe ignition-point-digest email at address
www.telepath.com/believer