Shuffling (fwd)

Ian Goldberg iang at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 29 09:00:38 PST 1998

In article <199810291325.HAA19001 at einstein.ssz.com>,
Jim Choate  <ravage at einstein.ssz.com> wrote:
> [...]

The "7 times" theorem uses the following model of a shuffle:

o The deck is cut into two parts, with the number of cards in each piece
    binomially distributed (with mean 26, of course).
o The resulting deck is then achieved by having cards fall from one or the
    other of the two parts; a card will fall from one of the parts with
    probability proportional to the number of cards remaining in the part.

   - Ian "Who took a course in Randomized Algorithms last year"