Forwarded mail...

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Wed Oct 28 06:09:37 PST 1998

Forwarded message:

> From: Theodor.SCHLICKMANN at BXL.DG13.cec.be
> Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:04:17 +0100
> Subject: Re: Right of privacy

> It is important to set clear guidlines and codes of practice for such
> technological innovations, well in advance of the digital revolution
> making new and unforseen opportunities to collate, analyze, recognise
> and store such visual images.

How does one pass laws to regulate something that doesn't exist yet?

> The attitude to CCTV camera networks varies greatly in the European Union,
> from the position in Denmark where such cameras ar banned by law to the
> position in the UK, where you can find one of the most advanced CCTV network
> coverage in Europe and where the issue of regulation and control have been
> perhaps more developed then anywhere else.

Are there any discussions about this dichotomy and how it came to pass?
Something that asks the question of why they chose such widely seperate
approaches? I would personaly guess the British have gotten a little
paranoid they're set for pay-back-time since their empire's been crumbling
for 200 years. I'm much less familiar with Dannish history (post-WWII) and
how they developed this respect for Big Brother and its potential.

       To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.

                                                     Confucius

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com