Right of privacy

Theodor.SCHLICKMANN at BXL.DG13.cec.be Theodor.SCHLICKMANN at BXL.DG13.cec.be
Wed Oct 28 01:31:09 PST 1998

> One thing I know is that the social potential for video cameras in relation
> to traffic management are immense. The problem is that their potential for
> abuse when coupled with other sorts of technologies is absolutely
> frightening. I don't believe that potential is enough to avoid them out of
> hand.
>
> > It is not only communication.
> > Privacy is also needed on public places (e.g., violated by face
> recognition systems),
> > at work places (e.g.,violated by telephone tapping), for your body (e.g.,
> endangered by
> > abortion control),
>
> No, what is needed in public places is anonymity. We want to be treated
> just
> like everyone else. We specificaly don't want any identity.

It is important to set clear guidlines and codes of practice for such
technological innovations, well in advance of the digital revolution
making new and unforseen opportunities to collate, analyze, recognise
and store such visual images. Such regulation will need to be founded
on sound data protection principles and take cognizance of
article 15 of the European Data Protection Directive. Essentially it
says that:

"Member States shall grant the right of every person not to be subject
to a decision which produces legal effects concerning him or significantly
affects him and which is based solely on the automatic processing of
data".

The attitude to CCTV camera networks varies greatly in the European Union,
from the position in Denmark where such cameras ar banned by law to the
position in the UK, where you can find one of the most advanced CCTV network
coverage in Europe and where the issue of regulation and control have been
perhaps more developed then anywhere else.