so, what did Toto *do*, exactly to get locked up? (Re: rules of en

DOOM Anonymous Untraceable User nobody at seclab.com
Sun Oct 25 15:34:55 PST 1998

Jim Choate wrote:

> anonymous wrote
> > And it's likely they have subpoenaed more people than we've heard from.
> > I just hope they don't subpoena Bill Payne, or we'll receive a copy of it
> > every week for years to come.
>
> Yep, with those silly/strange capitalizations and sentence structures of his
> which look suspicously like some form of stego. You'd think somebody who
> claims to be that educated would have at least learned basic grammer (unless it
> was intentional).

That explains it.

> This does raise an interesting point about freedom of speech and the duties
> of LEA's. In a democratic society what are the ethical implications of LEA's
> archiving publicly available documents as a matter of course, not for
> inclusion in ongoing investigations but rather as a base for future
> investigations.

Echelon. Also see [*1 below]

> In addition, while the remailer operators do seem to be
> protected by ECPA (I was advised that I fell into this category via SSZ)
> what about the public archive operators? Are they covered under this
> umbrella?

remailers are carriers. ECPA says that if you do not review content, you aren't
responsible for it.

Archivers are content providers. They have to make do with a 1st ammendment fig leaf.
What archives are there? There is one in Singapore (outside jurisdiction) and one
at sof.mit.edu that mysteriously went off the air a little while ago. Or was it
something more sinister?

On the topic of ECPA, I did an archive search: (my comments in [])