echelon in UK

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Fri Oct 23 01:28:22 PDT 1998

echelon is getting a *lot* of european coverage in their
newspapers and magazines over the last few weeks/months.
I find this quite remarkable. here in the US where we
pride ourselves on civil freedom, the public does not
even *squeak* about the massive NSA superstructure.
but the european community is starting to get fidgety
and uppity.

I sincerely hope that this pressure can be increased.
it would be quite ironic if the nsa began to feel heat
by *outside* countries, without the slightest raised
eyebrow by the submissive, prostrate US taxpayer
even as they suck up something
like 50 odd billion dollars a year out of our budget
without a trace.

personally I think an awesome cypherpunk project/campaign
would be an info-fight against the NSA. a guerrila style
campaign in which people try to plaster the message
everywhere, and "hack" the mainstream media.

the time is ripe, with the echelon brouhaha. it's a pity that hackers
spend their time fighting over somethig like Kevin
Mitnick when they could truly change the us govt as
we know it. I propose a continued, cyberguerilla
campaign to put the NSA into the public light and
make them squirm as much as a spook can do so (and
I'm certain they are *very* squirmy)