Censored news topic censored ...

Ernest Hua hua at teralogic-inc.com
Thu Oct 22 17:09:50 PDT 1998

Mr. Suarez,

Ah ... I see where the misunderstandings are ...

I am listening to the program on "The Budget Deal",
which is the hour most likely to have any mention
of the roving wiretap provision.

On-the-air transcripts or not, however, I think you
still miss the central point.  The issue is that
most major news outlets did NOT report on HOW this
provision was rammed through Congress.  I did not
specifically accuse YOU of not reporting, which is
probably why you are so defensive.  Certainly, the
Market Place show reported this, and so did the San
Jose Mercury, but not New York Times.  ABCNEWS only
said that something was passed to help law
enforcement, as if anything passed to help law
enforcement is necessarily a good thing.

The issue is not whether the issue of roving wire
taps got any light of day.  The issue is that the
process of the roving wire taps being rammed
through Congress did NOT get the light of day,
specifically because the FBI lobbyists did this at
the last minute to get it hidden in all the noise
of the frantic 11th hour budget deals ... which is
why I thought the topic was most appropriate to the
discussion of relevant news today.

I did not claim to have a solution to the problem
of too much noise to valuable news ratio.  However,
some insight from someone like you, Ray, could have
been a good discussion and education for all of us
concerned with the FBI's legislative tricks.

I would have also brought up the lack of reporting
on the EU's concerns about US/UK mass wire tapping.
It's clear that the NSA does not want this topic
discussed, and in fact, had pressured the EU to not
bring up the topic.  Wired magazine reported this
within the last week, but S J Mercury had nothing
on it, nor the N Y Times, etc ...

Ray, please do not think I am accusing YOU of
censoring the wire tap topic.  What I am concerned
about is the news media's role in not shining a
bright lights on these topics, and that is a very
serious issue.

Ern