UK police chase crooks on CCTV (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Wed Oct 21 06:40:13 PDT 1998

Forwarded message:

> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:21:04 +0200
> From: Tim Griffiths <griffith at wis.weizmann.ac.il>
> Subject: UK police chase crooks on CCTV

> Civil liberties groups said they were alarmed by the new system, but
> police defended its use.
>
> ``The only people entered on to the system will be convicted criminals
> who, through our intelligence, we believe are habitually committing
> crimes in the area,'' The Daily Mail quoted police Chief Superintendent
> Dave Armond as saying. ``If people are not committing crime they have
> nothing to fear, but if they are among the small minority who are, the
> message is, 'We are watching out for you.'''
>
> The newspaper reported that police initially will use the system to
> concentrate on catching robbery suspects. In the future, however, it

Excuse me....

Since when does 'suspected of' equate to 'convicted criminal'?

Also, in order to wath you (sic) they have to watch everyone - in effect
guilty until proven innocent by the computer software.

What sort of civil recovery are provided for the inevitable software errors?
I bet nadda, and that's wrong too.

This is Big Brother Spin Doctor BULLSHIT.

We need a law or court ruling pretty quickly in the US that sets the
standard that a group of people have no more or less rights than an
individual. This will required LEA's to provide probable cause prior to any
actions against groups of people (such as this).

If they can't audio tape me, or seize my papers and correspondences without
a warrant then they bloody well can't video me without a warrant either
,within the context of criminal proceedings.

Does anyone know if *any* PAC/SIG/whatever has this as their main political
agenda?

On a similar note, here in Austin they are finishing up with putting
hundreds of cameras around town. It isn't long before these sorts of social
theory X'ers get their teeth in the shank of American society.

We've got(!) to put a stop to this sort of stuff. The law should basicaly ok
the use of cameras for vehicular traffic control (this does NOT include
execution of speeding infractions and such), this means no police or other
LEA's may be involved or view the tapes *without* a warrant. The operators
and support personnel should be required to abide by a strict non-disclosure
agreement as well. If they notice a wreck or whatever they should notify the
relevant emergency personel and *IF* the police serve a warrent only then
turn over the tape.

This is a perfect example of why I, personaly, believe that a polycratic
democracy is the only workable kind in the real world.

The 'seperate but equal' doctrine should effect every aspect of a democratic
society.

       To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.

                                                     Confucius

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com