2 questions: Prime Numbers and DES

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Oct 20 10:04:58 PDT 1998

Go look around for the crypto archives.  Some good places have been
www.replay.com (or replay.nl?), ftp.funet.fi, ftp.ox.ac.uk, ftp.dsi.unimi.it.
Look for the Cyphernomicon and the sci.crypt faqs.  Altavista is your friend.

If you want code for DOS, remember that you can compile and run
C programs on DOS, and a bare-bones DES program that uses stdin and stdout
should do just fine.

For prime numbers, read some books!  Bruce Schneier's book is a good
place to start.  Also, look around on www.rsa.com.

The standard approach to generating large prime numbers is to generate
large random odd numbers of the length you want and see if they're prime.
Actually proving primality is hard, but there are tests for "probable primes"
that appear to be independent - so you take the candidate numbers and
run 20 iterations of a test to get probability 2**-20 or 2**-40 of error.
Depending on speed of things, it's usually more efficient to run a sieve
to eliminate multiples of small primes (certainly 2,3,5,7, possibly many more)
since those tests are often faster than the probable primality testing.

If you want to _understand_ this stuff, as opposed to merely using it,
you'll need some math, specifically number theory dealing with primes
and modular arithmetic.  But start with Schneier.

At 03:13 PM 10/18/98 -0400, Stephen Benjamin wrote:
>1.  How can I generate 2 large prime numbers?  I doubt I could create 2,
>100-digit prime numbers in my head :-)
>
>2.  Is there an implentation of DES in perl?  I didn't see a link to one
>on the export-a-sig page.  If not perl, is there one for DOS?  I'm
>looking for a bare bones one, not something with tons of features
>and a GUI.  A perl or dos version of the unix "des" program would be
>preferable.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com