IP: ISPI Clips 5.51: Your Online Profile--Where You Go, What You Buy--Is Vulnerable

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Sat Oct 17 17:51:48 PDT 1998

From: "ama-gi ISPI" <offshore at email.msn.com>
Subject: IP: ISPI Clips 5.51: Your Online Profile--Where You Go, What You Buy--Is Vulnerable
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:04:28 -0700
To: <Undisclosed.Recipients at majordomo.pobox.com>

ISPI Clips 5.51: Your Online Profile--Where You Go, What You Buy--Is
Vulnerable
News & Info from the Institute for the Study of Privacy Issues (ISPI)
Saturday October 17, 1998
ISPI4Privacy at ama-gi.com
This From: TIME.com Magazine,  OCTOBER 12, 1998 VOL. 152 NO. 15
http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/

Watch Your Tracks
Your online profile--where you go, what you buy--is vulnerable.
Here's how to protect it
http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/1998/dom/981012/personal_time.your_
tech2a.html

By
MICHAEL KRANTZ
TIME technology writer

Run a search on your PC's hard drive for the phrase "User Profile," and
you'll find a long list of items like this: "yahoo.comTRUE/FALSE 3262463
493 Y v=1&n=82iosk148jr9n." This gibberish is just one in a series of
digital snapshots of my recent online travels: what websites I visited;
what pages I viewed and for how long; what I bought, downloaded or printed.
What's more, every site I visit can send programs called "cookies" down the
phone line into my machine to snag this data and either use it to try to
sell me something ("He spends time at E! Online? Let's spam him with that
Titanic-for-$5 offer!") or sell my "profile" to some other marketer. Yikes.

For years, of course, everyone from insurance adjusters to credit-card
companies has made money swapping consumer profiles like baseball cards.
But the Web is bringing this great American pastime to new levels of
invasive splendor. Ironically, one of the most attractive features of the
Net--its ability to customize content instantly--morphs smoothly into one
of its most sinister: the ability to monitor who you are and what you're
doing online, even as you do it.

It's not just the embarrassment factor we're talking about here: the guy
whose wife checks out his log and finds the porn sites he hit last night.
Consider how much other personal data could become available as we conduct
more and more of our lives in this (thus far) happily unregulated
world--investing and paying our bills online, filling our prescriptions,
etc.

How forthright have websites been about telling users what data they're
unwittingly providing? Not very. Last spring the Federal Trade Commission
studied 1,400 sites and found that only 14% had posted privacy statements
of any kind (though 71 of the 100 busiest sites did so).

While a Senate committee last week approved legislation that would
authorize the FTC to regulate the profiling of children, the agency seems
willing to let the industry clean up its own act with regard to adults.
Enter TRUSTe, a nonprofit group that has persuaded 270 of the Web's most
popular sites to post and abide by statements telling what data they
collect from visitors, how they use that data and how visitors can restrict
that use. Web leaders such as America Online, Microsoft and Netscape plan
an announcement this Wednesday to address privacy concerns.

Some, though, are skeptical that a voluntary system will work. "If
anybody's going to make money off your identity," says Fred Davis, chief
executive officer of the software start-up Lumeria, based in Berkeley,
Calif., "it should be you." And, of course, Fred Davis. Due in early 1999,
Lumeria's software will, among other things, help you control your data,
keeping nosy marketers from grabbing your profile unless you let them. In
fact, Davis thinks companies will eventually pay for the privilege ("Hey,
visitor No. 85834: we see you bought Titanic last week. We'll give you 500
frequent-flyer miles to tell us your name, age and income!").

For now, here's how you can keep those pesky cookies away. If you use
Microsoft's Internet Explorer, choose Internet Options under your View
menu, click the Advanced tab, scroll down to the Cookies subsection and
choose "Disable all cookie use." If you use Netscape Navigator, go to Edit
Preferences under the Edit menu and choose Advanced, then "Turn all cookies
off." But be warned: many sites won't let you in if your browser rejects
cookies, and others will harass you with dialogue boxes urging you to
accept one.

--------------------------------NOTICE:------------------------------
ISPI Clips are news & opinion articles on privacy issues from
all points of view; they are clipped from local, national and international
newspapers, journals and magazines, etc. Inclusion as an ISPI Clip
does not necessarily reflect an endorsement of the content or opinion
by ISPI. In compliance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed free without profit or payment for non-profit research
and educational purposes only.

ISPI Clips is a FREE e-mail service from the "Institute for the Study
of Privacy Issues" (ISPI). To receive "ISPI Clips" on a regular bases
(up to 3 - 8 clips per day) send the following message  "Please
enter [Your Name] into the ISPI Clips list: [Your e-mail address]" to:
ISPIClips at ama-gi.com  .

The Institute for the Study of Privacy Issues (ISPI) is a small
contributor-funded organization based in Victoria, British Columbia
(Canada). ISPI operates on a not-for-profit basis, accepts no
government funding and takes a global perspective.

ISPI's mandate is to conduct & promote interdisciplinary research
into electronic, personal and  financial privacy with a view toward
helping ordinary people understand the degree of privacy they have
with respect to government, industry and each other and to likewise
inform them about techniques to enhance their privacy.

But, none of this can be accomplished without your kind and
generous financial support. If you are concerned about the erosion
of your privacy in general, won't you please help us continue this
important work by becoming an "ISPI Supporter" or by taking out
an institute Membership?

We gratefully accept all contributions:

  Less than $60    ISPI Supporter
          $60 - $99    Primary ISPI Membership (1 year)
      $100 - $300    Senior ISPI Membership (2 years)
More than $300    Executive Council Membership (life)

Your ISPI "membership" contribution entitles you to receive "The ISPI
Privacy Reporter" (our bi-monthly 12 page hard-copy newsletter in
multi-contributor format) for the duration of your membership.

For a contribution form with postal instructions please send the following
message "ISPI Contribution Form" to ISPI4Privacy at ama-gi.com .

We maintain a strict privacy policy. Any information you divulge to ISPI
is kept in strict confidence. It will not be sold, lent or given away to
any third party.

with the message:
     (un)subscribe ignition-point email at address

or (un)subscribe ignition-point-digest email at address
www.telepath.com/believer