WPI Cryptoseminar, Wednesday, 10/14

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Oct 8 18:16:37 PDT 1998

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 18:19:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Christof Paar <christof at ece.WPI.EDU>
To: "WPI.Crypto.Seminar":;
cc: DCSB <dcsb at ai.mit.edu>
Subject:  WPI Cryptoseminar, Wednesday, 10/14
Sender: bounce-dcsb at ai.mit.edu

       WPI Cryptography and Information Security Seminar

               Prof. David Finkel, CS Dept., WPI

   PERFORMANCE AND SECURITY IN WEB-BASED ELECTRONIC COMMERCE

                       Wednesday, October 14
                         4:00 pm,  AK 108
                    (refreshments at 3:45 pm)

This talk reports on the results of a performance evaluation of a testbed
electronic commerce application on the World Wide Web.  The study measured
the performance of the system using different levels of security, and offers
some insights into the performance costs of security for such an
installation.  In addition, we discuss the performance implications of
different implementation strategies.  The work represents a joint effort by
researchers from WPI and Stratus Computer, Inc.

DIRECTIONS:

The WPI Cryptoseminar is being held in the Atwater Kent building on the
WPI campus. The Atwater Kent building is at the intersection of West and
Salisbury Street for those coming from outside. Directions to the campus
can be found at http://www.wpi.edu/About/Visitors/directions.html

TALKS IN THE FALL '98 SEMESTER:

8/12  Kris Gaj, George Mason University
      Quantum Computers and Classical Supercomputers as a Threat to
      Existing Ciphers.

10/6  Christof Paar, WPI
      Report on AES

10/14 David Finkel, CS Dept., WPI
      Performance and Security in Web-based Electronic Commerce

10/28 Thomas Blum, WPI
      Efficient FPGA Architectures for Public-Key Algorithms

[other talks to be announced]

See also http://ece.WPI.EDU/Research/crypt/seminar/index.html for
abstracts of some of the talks.

MAILING LIST:

If you want to be added to the mailing list and receive talk announcements
together with abstracts, please send me a short mail. Likewise, if you want
to be removed from the list, just send me a short mail.

Regards,

Christof Paar

Christof Paar                   http://ee.wpi.edu/People/faculty/cxp.html
Assistant Professor             email:  christof at ece.wpi.edu
Cryptography Group              phone:  (508) 831 5061
ECE Department, WPI             fax:    (508) 831 5491
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609, USA