GPL & commercial software, the critical distinction (fwd)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Oct 5 17:22:43 PDT 1998

> > I do have trouble with the idea of the garment industry
> > being monopolistic. About 2 miles from where I'm typeing
> > this, in  Whitechapel and Spitalfields in the East End of
> > London, street after street is packed with small
> > sweatshops, "import export" businesses, tiny fashion
> > houses

Jim Choate:
> Could you get a phonebook and make a list of the
> sweatshops. Enumerate them and then select 10% (if that
> isn't too many) and find out how many and to whom they sew
> their garments for?

They sew for fashion houses, and there are more fashion
houses than anyone can count.

Even if there was only a single redistributor, there would be
no monopoly, since the cost of entry to the business of
specifying garments, buying them, transporting them, and
reselling them is completely insignificant.

Jim's present day "monopolies" are as utterly fantastic as
his past monopolies.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     AQQ4m5gWiSF/xJOyvQy7KPjabjDdEir3CLICtAtG
     46+3JIjNxZp7bEJXNFOzcCPyLHbMGc054WKXwyqLb
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald