manners....

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Fri Nov 27 18:27:21 PST 1998

At 08:54 AM 11/19/98 +0800, Bernardo B. Terrado wrote:
>Well I thought this list was a list of intellectuals, not only good in
>hacks and coding and programming and the likes but also well "tailored"
>with their manners,  I have posted similar mails asking something but I
>have never received one like this. At least the less obvious thing to do
>is to ignore my message, simply delete it!, is that a hard thing to do?

Yo, Bernie - until you started asking for pirated commercial software,
I was wondering whether you were trolling by asking newbie questions
or just a real newbie who hadn't looked at any of the literature yet.
Knapsacks are, after all, broken long ago, and anything written
since about 1980 that talks about them will also say that.

I'd recommend getting Bruce Schneier's "Applied Cryptography"
and spending a while with it, then looking for academic stuff
beyond that if you want, and also reading the documentation for PGP
for practical stuff (in particular, Phil's comments on Snake Oil.)
There are also some FAQs out there, such as the sci.crypt FAQ.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com