FC: More on Network Associates and its crypto-politics

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Nov 18 06:14:41 PST 1998

William -- your speculation may be true, but for now we can settle for
fact: they do support export controls. It makes sense, too: export ctrls
create an artificial market for key recovery crypto, which TIS will be
happy to sell to you.

-Declan

At 04:26 AM 11-18-98 -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:
>In <v04020a04b277c6d69429@[139.167.130.246]>, on 11/17/98
>   at 07:35 PM, Robert Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com> said:
>
>>TIS supports export controls on encryption products. My article:
>> http://www.well.com/user/declan/pubs/cwd.shadow.cryptocrats.0298.txt
>
>I doubt that TIS really cares one way or the other so long as they keep
their fat government contracts. Of course those same contracts require
keeping the government happy (ie: supporting GAK), TIS and others (being
the corporate whores that they are) will sell out their own mothers (and
the rest of us along with them) if it looked good on the bottom line.