A question about the new ISP ruling and email...

Anonymous nobody at replay.com
Sat Nov 7 23:32:32 PST 1998

>A more interesting question is whether anonymous remailers will need to
>register.  I suspect that there will be a challenge to this law that will

I think they will. The brief period of loose controls over communication
media is coming to an end. State correctly identified the problem and
now it is effectively being dealt with.

As printed mass media enjoyed short period of "freedom" at the beginning
of the century, so did internet in last five-six years or so.

All identifiable concentration nodes (news, ftp & http servers,
remailers, dial-in access points etc.) will eventually be censored. It
is interesting to note that today's network topology is more vulnerable
to censorship than UUCP was.

The only (partial) solution is to raise the cost of censoring by
requiring one-to-one effort. In other words, serverless world in which
end users directly exchange (preferably encrypted) packets over common
carriers. Hint: *Bsd + IPSec + uucp over IP and then merge in Crowds
technology where real-time relaying is needed.

Actually ... cypherpunks is a good choice for the first port.

The Barnman