[E-CARM] Identification and Privacy are not Antinomies

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sat Nov 7 17:42:59 PST 1998

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 19:52:59 -0200 (EDT)
From: Ed Gerck <egerck at laser.cps.softex.br>
To: Robert Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com>
cc: E-CARM <e-carm at c3po.kc-inc.net>, DIGSIG at LISTSERV.TEMPLE.EDU
Subject: Re: [E-CARM] Identification and Privacy are not Antinomies
Sender: owner-e-carm at c3po.kc-inc.net

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Robert Hettinga wrote:

>Don't blame me, blame the remailer? <Bwahahahahah!>

Bob:

If the e-mail below was forwarded through you, it means that you
thought it is useful to these lists and that you also found some
nexus in the argument line used by the, huh... author. However,
neither you nor the huh... author seem to hold a steady line of
argument, as of course, you are indeed to be blamed without recourse
for this piece of tasteless non-sense being further reproduced on the
Net.

My intent with my original posting (available at
http://www.mcg.org.br/antinomy.txt, as proof) was NOT to criticize
the Clinton administration on an initiative which is in accord with
current practices worldwide -- but to show that there is a better and
privacy-protecting solution when identification is modelled using
coherence functions. Further, my intent was to show that biometrics
is perishable and not self-secure, which reasons alone would seem to
rule it out in the case.

THUS, MY SOLE REASON FOR THIS REJOINDER IS TO MAKE THAT CLEAR.

However, the Net is an amplifier -- it just provides raw power. The
question is how it is used. You and I have duly performed our duties
as estimulated emission sources, albeit with different filter
functions.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck.

Dr.rer.nat. E. Gerck                     egerck at novaware.cps.softex.br