Digicash bankruptcy

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at ai.mit.edu
Thu Nov 5 20:15:36 PST 1998

> > Finaly I have difficulty regarding Digicash as being all that socially
> > responsible. Chaum's problems had a lot to do with the business terms
> > he insisted on. What he had was a technology which allowed an
> improvement
> > to a payment system. He imagined he had a monopoly on the only feasible
> > solution. He was very baddly mistaken. The monopoly rents he demanded
> > were more than the market was willing to pay for a working and deployed
> > system - let alone for a patent license.
>
> Where does the "monopoly rents" comment come from?
>
> In other words, on what basis are you making that statement?

Chaum's reported demands for patent licensing fees were consistently
above 10-20% of the service revenue plus a significant up front fee.
Those levels are more usually associate with a monopolistic patent,
hence 'monopoly rent'.

The fact that Chaum didn't have the monopoly he appeared to imagine
is probably why nobody was queuing up to pay his demands.

		Phill