IP: Text: Gore Announces New SS# Effort for Victims ofDomestic Violence

Petro petro at playboy.com
Thu Nov 5 10:37:36 PST 1998

At 11:40 AM -0500 11/5/98, Robert Hettinga wrote:

>"Today, our message to the victims of these hateful crimes is this: we
>will offer you the protection you need to regain your safety and
>rebuild your life. You have suffered enough without having to fight
>for the protections you need to start a new life for yourself and your
>children," Gore said, according to a press release from his office.

	Give them a Military Surplus .45 and teach them to shoot straight.
Much cheaper in the long run as it will either eliminate the abuse up
front, or both the abuse and the abuser.

>The vice president also mentioned a new booklet, "Protecting Victims
>of Domestic Violence: A Law Enforcement Officer's Guide to Enforcing
>Orders of Protection Nationwide," that outlines the meaning of the
>Violence Against Women Act's requirement to give full faith and credit
>orders of protection for victims of domestic violence.

	Isn't there some law that prohibits discrimination because of gender?

>For the first time, victims of domestic violence will be able to get a
>new Social Security number simply by providing written affirmation of
>their domestic abuse from a third party, such as a local shelter,
>treating physician, or law enforcement official.

	This shouldn't be too tough.

>The Social Security Administration's (SSA) employees in field offices
>nationwide will work closely with local domestic violence shelters,
>the police, the courts, treating physicians, medical facilities, and
>psychologists to help victims of domestic violence get the
>documentation necessary to secure a new Social Security number.

	Who wants to bet that soon they will talk about reducing or denying
benefits for "abusers".

--
"To sum up: The entire structure of antitrust statutes in this country is a
jumble of economic irrationality and ignorance. It is a product: (a) of a

Petro::E-Commerce Adminstrator::Playboy Ent. Inc.::petro at playboy.com