Who Cares (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Wed Nov 4 21:58:08 PST 1998

Forwarded message:

> From: "Blanc" <blancw at cnw.com>
> Subject: Who Cares
> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 21:22:56 -0800

>  When the politicians speak they always make statements which imply that they're
> speaking to, and being heard by,  the whole nation.   I just read a notice that
> less than 40% of eligible voters went to the polls.   Since the Republicans are
> still in the majority, this means that less than one quarter of the voting
> population supports Clinton as President.   And only slightly more than one
> quarter support Republicans.   This would be meaningful to me, if I was making
> policy:  what are all those other people doing?

If you're talking about the people who didn't vote, they're trying to keep
from going under. Probably working two jobs, keeping the kids in school and
out of trouble, saving for college, paying the house morgage off, etc. Who's
in office won't make a whit of difference to any of that. It's irrelevant.

If you're talking about the politicians, they're laughing their ass off on
the way to the bank to cash their tax-derived income.

       To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.

                                                     Confucius

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com