SETI at home Project Update

SETI@home setiathome at ssl.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Nov 4 14:27:03 PST 1998

Dear SETI at home volunteer:

Thank you for signing up for SETI at home.  We're on schedule to
distribute the SETI at home screensaver program in April 1999, and
we'll send you another email when that happens.

On October 30 we began recording data at the world's largest
radio telescope, located in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.  Preliminary
versions of the screensaver program and the data distribution
system have been completed.  On November 20 we will begin
testing the system with a group of 100 users analyzing real data
(sorry - no more volunteers needed).  Over the next few months
we will complete the testing, making sure the system will handle
large numbers of users.

We are pleased to thank SETI at home's sponsors and technology
partners: the Planetary Society (a 100,000 member organization
founded by Carl Sagan), Paramount Studios (in conjunction with
their new movie, Star Trek IX:  Insurrection), Sun Microsystems,
EDT, Fuji Film Computer Products, Informix, and individual donors
like you. The screen saver will be free for everyone, but if
you can consider making a tax-deductible donation to SETI at home,
please visit http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/donor.html.
We also invite you to become a member of The Planetary Society.
You can visit their site at http://www.planetary.org.

For further SETI at home information and news, please see
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu.

Thank you again for offering to participate in SETI at home.  Our
work is enhanced and inspired by the enthusiasm of thoughtful,
adventurous, and generous people like you.

If you wish to remove your name from the SETI at home email list,
please send an empty email message to this address with subject
header "remove".

Best wishes,

The SETI at home project