Asymmetric Warfare

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu May 28 18:01:02 PDT 1998

At 12:49 PM -0700 5/28/98, John Young wrote:
>Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:34:10 -0500
>From: "90. USAFnews" <usafnews at AFNEWS.AF.MIL>
>
>980734.  Special operations commander outlines future threats
>by Capt. John Paradis
>16th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs
>
>HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. (AFNS) -- More Chechnyas.  If a military strategist
>needed to look at a good model for the typical future conflict, the war
>torn republic of Chechnya comes to mind, said Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker,
>U.S. Special Operations Command commander in chief.

Yes, Chechnya is the model for the U.S. to follow: the Central Authority
attempting to crush a local rebellion by shelling cities, razing farms,
shooting suspected rebels without trials, and blockading entire provinces
to starve them into submission.

As the United States increasingly moves toward police state status and
chooses smaller nations to pick on (Panama, Somalia, Haiti, etc.), the
Armed Forces will come to resemble a domestic army. Something the Founders
were adamantly opposed to (between "no standing army" (ha!), Washington's
warning about avoiding foreign wars, and Posse Comitatus, which forbids a
domestic role for the Army).

>It's such "asymmetric" opponents like separatists, rebel groups,
>insurgents and terrorists that U.S. special operations forces will need
>to prepare for -- enemies who won't attack U.S. strategic strengths, but
>will instead target U.S. vulnerabilities by executing unorthodox
>measures to gain success, Schoomaker said.

Sounds good to me, attacking the Central Authority.

We need to launch our own crippling attacks on the U.S. military
infrastructure--it has become a cancer on the nation. Hacking their
computers and misdirecting Galaxy 4 were only the opening shots in this new
war.

Crypto is our strongest weapon. They know it. And they want it crippled.

--Tim May

"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of
tyrants...."
Licensed Ontologist              | black markets, collapse of governments.