Senate Intel Committee on Crypto

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed May 13 15:10:42 PDT 1998

>From Senate Intelligence Committee Report 105-185, on intelligence
funding for FY1999, May 7, 1998:

Encryption

    The Committee remains concerned about efforts to
inappropriately ease or remove export restrictions on hardware
and software encryption products. Export controls on encryption
and other products serve a clearly defined purpose--to protect
our nation's security. Therefore, the Committee believes that
the effects on U.S. national security must be the paramount
concern when considering any proposed change to encryption
export policy, and will seek referral of any legislation
regarding encryption export policy under its jurisdiction
established under Senate Resolution 400.

    Export restrictions on encryption products assist the
Intelligence Community in its signals intelligence mission. By
collecting and analyzing signals intelligence, U.S.
intelligence agencies seek to understand the policies,
intentions, and plans of foreign state and nonstate actors.
Signals intelligence plays an important role in the formation
of American foreign and defense policy. It is also a
significant factor in U.S. efforts to protect its citizens and
soldiers against terrorism, the proliferation of weapons of
mass destruction, narcotics trafficking, international crime
and other threats to our nation's security.

    While the Committee recognizes the commercial interest in
easing or removing export restrictions, it believes the safety
of our citizens and soldiers should be the predominant concern
when considering U.S. policy towards the export of any product.
The Committee supports the continued control of encryption
products, and believes that a comprehensive strategy on
encryption export policy can and must be developed that
addresses national security concerns as well as the promotion
of American commercial interests abroad. The Committee looks
forward to working with senior Administration officials in
developing such a strategy.

-----

Full report:

   http://jya.com/sr105-185.txt  (94K)