The Usual Suspects (National sales tax)

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Sun May 3 11:39:35 PDT 1998

>From my perspective, one of the most important fallouts from a replacement
of the graduated tax with a national sales tax is the removal of much of
the current rationale for FinCEN and citizen identification (i.e., SSN).
Certainly, it should no longer be required for establishing a non-credit
financial institution account, purchasing a money order/cashier's check or
wiring money.  In fact, you shouldn't need SSN for employment, except that
unless you supplied some number (even if psueduanon) you'd forego accruing
benefits.  The use of SSN for the ID runs the gammut in local, state and
federal programs, but is most often justified for purposes of taxation.

Now, I'm not naive enough to believe that any of these gov't agencies or
private corps are going to willing give up citizen unit IDs, but it will be
interesting to see their new rationales for the continued use of SSN (or
its replacement) for ID.

--Steve

--Steve

		reply to schear - at - lvcm - dot - com ---

PGP mail preferred, see  	http://www.pgp.com and
				http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

RSA fingerprint: FE90 1A95 9DEA 8D61  812E CCA9 A44A FBA9
RSA key: http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0x55C78B0D