Fwd: 10 Laws the Net Needs - Article/Survey

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Fri Mar 27 11:27:05 PST 1998

Sigh.  Another control freak concerned about the anarchy of the Net
is doing a survey.  Voting is still open, and I'd encourage you to
go see the mix of opinions of the 8000 or so current voters
and add your own.

From:
http://www.cnet.com/Content/Features/Dlife/Laws10/index.html

10 Laws the Net Needs
CNet Features

               By Susan Stellin
               (3/23/98)

               When the U.S. Congress passed the
               Communications Decency Act in 1995, Net
               activists staged a collective revolt. Protestors set up
               anti-CDA Web pages, launched campaigns to stop Net
               censorship, and hit the streets to voice their
               opposition.

               When the Supreme Court struck down the CDA,
               many online activists breathed a sigh of relief.
               But as it turns out, that law was just a preview of
               things to come.

               This year, there are more than 50 bills before
               Congress that propose some kind of Internet
               regulation. And policymakers from China to the
               European Union have been equally busy.

               Like it or not, this genie's been let out of the
               bottle; Net laws are on the way. So as the saying
               goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

               We've taken the lead on this one and drafted ten
               of our own Internet laws: proposals dealing with
               real issues like the proliferation of spam, the
               invasion of online privacy, and yes, the too-easy
               access to pornography. Some of our ideas match
               bills Congress is already considering; others
               address problems that Washington hasn't thought
               of yet.

               Brazen? You bet. In fact, not everyone at CNET
               agrees with all of these proposals--and you may
               not either.

               So we've decided to put them up for a vote.
               We've paired each law with an electronic ballot
               box. So exercise your (virtual) right to vote, and let
               us know how on-track--or off-base--our ideas are.

               The polls are open...

               Susan Stellin is an executive editor at CNET. The
               ideas expressed in this article are her own and do not
               necessarily reflect the opinions of CNET: The Computer
               Network or its executives, board of directors, TV
               hosts, public relations department, yadda yadda yadda.
               Susan's mom, however, agrees with everything in here.

For the full article and voting see:

http://www.cnet.com/Content/Features/Dlife/Laws10/index.html

				Thanks!
					Bill