Does Spamming Really Exist? / Re: Will New Sendmail Block Remailers?

David Scheidt david at infocom.com
Fri Mar 20 14:06:36 PST 1998

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, TruthMonger wrote:

> Spamming is an 'imaginary' felony, as are anonymity and encryption.

Spamming is theft of services, sir.  I am forced to pay for a "service"
that I did not request.  I, and everyone else, pays for spam either
directly in connect time, or because my ISP wastes bandwidth handling the
stuff.  I am not that much bothered by that it is advertising, or pure
junk, but that I pay for it.

> > To really beat spamming we probably need filters that only allow messages
> > from inside our web of trust. Don't you agree?

Make people bear the true cost of spam, and it will stop.