Will New Sendmail Block Remailers?

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at means.net
Tue Mar 17 06:57:14 PST 1998

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, John Young wrote:

> Markoff in the NYT reports today on the release of a new
> Sendmail upgrade by author Eric Allman that will block
> spam by checking the legitimacy of the originating address
> before delivery.
>
> The report claims that spam is up to 10% of e-mail worldwide,
> And that Sendmail is used on 75% of the computers that route
> e-mail, all of which are being fitted with the new program.
>
> What are the chances that this will affect remailers or other
> means of eternal anonymity?

Depends on how the remailer is set up.

For example, I own the domain "geek.net".  If I set up a remailer and
messages resolve to "anonymous at geek.net", I suspect it will get through.
I may need to also have an alias that /dev/nulls messages to
anonymous at geek.net, but that is still a legitimate mailing address.

I think what they are trying to stop are spammers that have a return
address like "fakename at fakedomain.com" or "your at best.friend".  Those
wouldn't resolve and would just get shitcanned.

IMHO, there's nothing _toooo_ sinister here, yet.  But vigilance is
suggested.

Robert Hayden			rhayden at means.net	       UIN: 3937211
IP Network Administrator	http://rhayden.means.net
MEANS Telcom			(612) 230-4416