BATFC -- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Cryptography

Dave Emery die at die.com
Wed Mar 11 14:26:07 PST 1998

On Wed, Mar 11, 1998 at 10:31:09AM -0800, James A. Donald wrote:
>     --
>
> The Cato institute has done studies on comparative
> remuneration which shows approximately double the salaries,
> accompanied by vastly more security and power.
>
> At the bottom end, bus drivers and prison guards, this is
> strikingly obvious.  A muni bus driver makes about as much as
> senior engineer in Silicon valley.

	At the risk of an irrelevant and stupid digression from the topic
of the threat, Is this really true ?   The technical people I know who work
for the government seem to get salaries that would be low in industry
for someone with that background.

	And I'd be surprised that bus drivers out in silicon valley were
really making the $60-95K that ordinary senior engineers designing bus
drivers make around here (the NE).  If they are, they are getting lots
more than other municipal employees such as school teachers with masters
degrees. (In fact, I've heard that demand had recently driven salaries
in the valley way up and maybe my numbers for engineers are low,
especially for software engineers.)

	There is, of course, that nasty law that classifies engineers as
exempt professionals but  allows companies to treat them as just cannon
fodder workers stuffed into cubicles and treated with little of the
respect the term professional would suggest - to be forced to work large
amounts of completely uncompensated overtime. Bus drivers (non exempt)
do get paid for every minute they are on the job, and many times work
schedules are deliberately arranged to guarantee significant amounts of
overtime at time and a half, so many bus drivers actually make a
significant multiple of their nominal salary for the same hours
engineers get base salary and no more.

	But I do think that Prof. Froomkin is right that a lot of top
managers and legal types and others in government whose private sector
equivalents get huge salaries do work at a considerable loss.  Salaries
for top of the heap government employees such as judges and managers
of large departments with budgets in the tens or hundreds of millions
rarely get more than $150K, whereas similar people would get much
more in the private sector.

	Of course the job security differences are vast, and government
workers are one of the very few classes of workers left in the economy
who have any actual job security long term at all.

--
	Dave Emery N1PRE,  die at die.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18