Crypto as contraband

David Honig honig at otc.net
Mon Mar 9 10:05:41 PST 1998

>> 	So yes, they have done at least as bad a thing to people who
>> merely want to tinker with their radios and occasionally explore what is
>> out there in the ether by passively and in private receiving radio
>> signals as they have to gun owners,

The morons in congress responded to intercepts of cellphones.  Because
Newt was scanned.  Response: outlaw *cellphones*... which are
themselves typically programmable as scanners of cell freqs.  And scanners
and programmable RF receivers.

Someone should pick up a congresscritter's monitor (a la van Eyk), then let
them
make fools of themselves banning television receivers... as video tempest
receiving gear...

[NB: since television Ch 83 overlaps with a cell-phone channel, TVs are
already illegal
under this law, no?  Selling an old analog b/w TV is now punishable by 1/2
million fine... ]

Are they going to ban IR lasers since they can be used to listen to window
vibration?

Remember Tacitus.

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     honig at otc.net                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

"I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi